Thursday, April 2, 2009

Spring Break, or a few days without the internet


I just spent 4 days without the internet. We did not have home internet for 10 days, but fortunately, I could keep up with the rest of the world at school. Now that I am on Spring Break, the loss of the internet was much more tangible.

If I was on a real vacation to some other place, it would not bother me in the least that I had no internet. But I have come to rely on the ability to look things up quickly. Sadly, our new service is not quite up to speed, so things are not coming as quickly as I had hoped. This DSL is seeming like dial-up. I hope we get the bugs out quickly.

It turns out you CAN use the internet too much. Comcast kicked us off because we downloaded too much. They don't actually want you to USE all the speed they give you. So we went to another provider. We've had some bugaboos to work out, though.

What am I doing with all my free time, you ask? Well, I actually read an entire book! In one day! I read the book The Shack. I heard about it online and on the radio, and my mom just happened to have read it. She loaned me her copy when we visited last Sat. It was quite moving. I loved some of the ideas and images of unselfish love. It was quite powerful. I loved the images of how God never leaves you, even when you cannot see or feel His presence. It was such a powerful reminder. It made me think about how my parents helped my siblings and I feel such unconditional love towards each other. Even as adults, we have strong bonds of love, and enjoy each other's company immensely. I hope that we as a family are able to keep that idea alive and strong in our own children. I love that so many of my online friends feel free to share the love of God with others. It can be such a blessing.

Other things over Spring Break....

We visited Key Lime Cove water park in Gurnee, IL. It was quite fun! The service was wonderful, except for when they ran out of towels about the time we needed them, and we had to wait about 25 minutes. I liked that fact that they overestimated the time things would need (like 30 minutes for towels which came in 25). I hate it when places underestimate. It's nicer to be pleasantly surprised by a shorter wait time. Anyway, the room was quite nice, and the service was friendly and convenient, and all in all, it was a fun time!

We had a ton of snow on Saturday night -- heavy, wet snow. as we had visited my mom in the afternoon, we ended up driving through a lot of it on our way home. The last 15 miles or so was pretty bad. In the morning, we discovered our birch tree completely bent to the ground. It looked like a weeping willow tree. one large branch actually broke and had to be sawed off. I hope the tree survives. A tree in our backyard also has a large branch broken off. It was a lovely tree with pink flowers in the Spring. Many, many trees were felled during this storm, and most people lost power. Also, trees were just starting to bud, so many of the buds fell off when the snow melted on Sunday. By Sunday afternoon, much of the snow was gone, but the damage was done.



My own children have school this week, so Kevin and I took them to school Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, I visited my son's class to help out with the Luau which was a culminating part of their Hawaii unit. I wasn't that much help, but it was a lot of fun! I loved seeing my child dance the hula!

Now I have the kind of free time I rarely ever have the chance to enjoy -- two days with about 6 hours of free time all to myself! Of course, I have cleaning and stuff to do, but I get to enjoy the peace. I love being with my family, but it nice to have alone time now and then. Just peace and quiet and no worries about who is doing what to whom, or who needs food, or why am I spending too much time on the computer when I should be with my family.

I'm going to get back to work now. I need to organize my little room so that I can work on my scrapbook projects that I was saving for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment