Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ode to Joy


Spring is here! The leprechauns have visited again this year. They left chocolate coins under the boys' pillows.


St. Patty's day was quite eventful here. I had to rush home to get going to the Piano festival from our school district. Here is a pic of our lovely blue ribbon winner, after only 5 months of piano lessons.







Since we have had requests for more piano playing, here's a clip of most of Ode to Joy from the contest.




I should have had a tripod, but I didn't. Frankly, I just didn't think of it.


Last week, the boys and I were at a funeral for my dear cousin Debbie. She was such a beautiful soul, and is missed terribly. She now finds her joy with her Lord in heaven, after battling cancer for 14 years. She was only in her early 50's.

After the funeral, we had lunch in the church basement. When most people were done, we were all milling about and reconnecting with other relatives. Suddenly, I heard "Take me out to the Ball Game" being played on the piano. It seemed too cheerful, and too out of place. Of course, it was my son. Then my 5 year old nephew wanted to get in on the act. And while it was hard to hear, I felt the message "Life goes on". We are left here to mourn her loss, but we will see her again. And we will continue to try to bless many more lives, as Debbie blessed so many. I just wish I could see more of my cousins more often.

I had the lovely opportunity to drive part of the way with my cousin Heidi, and to return with her mother. Two very different people, yet loved and admired for their uniqueness. I'm so glad that Heidi and I feel like we can be ourselves with each other - for good or bad. And I got to see a new side of my auntie -- her singing! The boys especially enjoyed "We are the red men, feathers in the head men, pow wow!" it came complete with hand motions. We simply MUST get her to do this on camera and send it to us again!

My mother had 12 brothers and sisters. Most of them had children. She was 12th out of 13. I have a LOT of cousins. And 1st cousins once removed, twice removed, etc. Some of my 1st cousins have grandchildren already. I can only imagine because I've met most of them. Next summer, I'm going to redo my huge family tree chart. I made one in the year 2000, but I think an update every 10 years is good. It's rather like the census, I suppose. (Genealogists LOVE the census!) I'm glad my family and my extended family can be as close as we are. I am amazed at the problems other families have, and sad for them too. Our closeness seems so normal to me. It's only in my older years here that I realize how unusual it can seem to others.

Have a blessed rest of your day. Seek the joy around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment